|Captive Hearts, Captive Minds: Freedom & Recovery from Cults & Abusive Relationships
Madeleine L. Tobias
In America today an estimated 5,000 cults have affected upward of 10 million people. Whether their focus is religion, politics, therapy, or self-improvement, cults exact an inestimable cost, both emotionally and financially, from those who join. This book can help.
Take Back Your Self!
Former cult members suffer from fear, depression, confusion, low self-esteem, and posttraumatic stress, whether they were in a group or a one-on-one abusive relationship. Captive Hearts, Captive Minds provides the hands-on help they need to recover from manipulation and mind control.
The book includes:
Sensitively written by two former cult members, Captive Hearts, Captive Minds offers victims and their families a renewed sense of trust and hope for a life beyond the cult experience.
- personal stories of healing and recovery
- an analysis of cult leaders, with a profile of David Koresh, later leader of the Branch Davidians
- an extensive list of resources and organizations
- sections on family issues, violence, and sexual abuse
- a special chapter on therapeutic treatment issues