|Complete Guide to Trail Building and Maintenance, 3rd Edition
Anyone can learn to build and maintain a durable hiking trail with the right teacher. Our manual is used by both the U.S. Forest and Park Services and has been thoroughly updated and expanded. Whether you are a hiker, volunteer trail maintainer, or land manager, here are all the essentials for creating environmentally sound trails.
- how to plan, design, build, and maintain trails
- protective gear and choosing tools for each job
- building ski trails, bridges, stiles, and ladders
- updated techniques: focus on stonework, drainage, and erosion control
- working with private landowners
- photos and illustrations